In this weeks blog post, I am sharing 10 tips how to bring nature indoors. Create a warm and inviting space by infusing elements of nature into your home. We feel more connected and happy when we spend more time relaxing outdoors. With organic shapes and natural textures trending in the design industry, it is easier to bring the outdoors in whether your design style is modern or traditional.
10 Tips How to Bring Nature Indoors
1. Select A Wood - Wood comes in a wide variety of stains, finishes, and species. It could be polished or left unstained to reveal its unique imperfections and character. Wood is also one of the few materials that can be used for several different applications, from floor to ceiling. I love this contemporary and rustic staircase because of the mixture of reclaimed wood on the walls.
(Photo via Home Adore)
2. Choose a Stone - Another finish I am fond of using is stone because of its durability and versatility. Choose the stone that works best for your lifestyle, personality, and application type. Each species of stone has its characteristics: good and bad. If you are using stone as a kitchen or flooring it is important to understand the quality and what application it is best used for.
(Photo via Zillow)
3. Create Zen-like Center Pieces - Surround pebbles around tea light candles on a long narrow tray to create a zen centerpiece on your coffee table or dining table.
4. Furniture - With nature trending in the design industry, I have seen some extraordinary furniture with natural materials. Whether it be a coffee table crafted from an exotic piece of wood or a slab of agate stone for an end table, there is plenty of variety available that could be used in any design setting or style. You don't have to have a rustic style home to add a touch of nature to your space. Check out this beautifully crafted console table from Phillips Collection.
(Photo via Phillips Collection)
5. Accessories and Lighting - Add a table lamp featuring a stunning slab of semi-precious stone or agate stone coasters in your dining room.
6. Natural Lighting - Natural lighting is a desirable design element in any space or home. Natural light also makes us feel inspired and energized. The power of natural light has an affect on how you feel like no other. Leave your windows open to the elements to feel more connected to the outside.
(Photo via Architectural Digest)
7. Artwork inspired by Nature - If you don't have a room with a view, create one with art. Add a large abstract scenic painting over a sofa to create a statement or reminiscent of the the outdoors. If you're not into scenic prints, group photography of close up of nature. I love black and white close-ups of flowers.
8. Table top Waterfalls/fountains - There is something Oh-so-relaxing about the sound of trickling water. Add a table-top waterfall in a bedroom for a soothing nights sleep.
9. Indoor Plants & Blooms - Perk up rooms with indoor plants. For low maintenance, consider creating your own mini succulent garden. Add flowers for color or even display your fruits in a bowl in a kitchen for a pop of color (and also a convenient snack).
(Photo via Better Home and Gardens)
10. Branch Out - If your not into the upkeep of plants, try adding branches to a vase for super low maintenance and natural look. Visit your nearest craft store for a wide selection of faux branches with flowers.
Welcome the outdoors in with one of these ten tips. I hope you have enjoyed this post. Which tip will you use to bring the feeling of nature into your home? I would love to hear what design tip was your favorite, make sure to leave a comment and share below.
Want more design tips? Join "The Designed Life" monthly e-magazine, filled with tons of inspiration for the home and life. Also, receive a free Home Design Checklist to make your next shopping trip for your home easier.