The snow storm of the century is headed my way, a whopping 36" - Yikes!! While snowed-in, I couldn't help but cozy up on the couch and write about ways to create a warm and Inviting home (even if you're not snowed in). With a little accessorizing, you can create an inviting space for you and your guests.
Here are 10 Home Decor ideas that you can use to make your space feel warm and cozy:
1. Lighting - Create a romantic setting with dim lighting. Use combinations of table lamps and glow from candle lights. Not only will this make your guests feel welcomed but everyone knows that warm mood-lighting always makes people look flawless.
(Photo Cred: agirlandagluegun.com)
2. Tactile Fabrics - I'm a huge lover of tactile fabrics such as slubby linens, chunky wool knits, and delicate cashmere. Try layering different materials like a Velvet upholstery and a Monogolian fur pillow.
(Photo Cred: Apartment Therapy)
3. Display Throws & Blankets - There is something about seeing blankets displayed that instantly make a home feel more snuggle-worthy. Display your throws in a wicker basket that is in arms reach of seating.
4. Warm Colors - Incoporate warm colors into your space to create a sense of warmth.
5. Layering Materials - Layering different fabrics and materials creates visual interest and a more inviting home. Layering window treatments is my favorite example of how to layer materials. Use a grass shade as your under-treatment and soft sheer curtains on top. I love to mix soft and natural elements. For flooring, layer a soft cowhide rug ontop of a plush-cut pile rug or a sisal to introduce color, pattern, and another texture.
(Photo Cred: nousdecor.com)
6. Bring the Outside In - Inviting nature inside is a great way to make your house feel more inviting. Add natural elements by grouping a few branches together in a decorative vase. You can even create a low-maintenance terrarium. Check out my Mason Jar Terrariums I made for my office.
(Photo Cred: hgtv.com)
7. Intimate Corners - Don't leave dead corners in your home instead, create inviting vignettes. Spruce up an empty corner with a small-scale chair, ottoman, and floor lamp. Don't have enough room for seating? Add a pedestal table with a table lamp and chair; a small setting for writing or blogging ;)
(Photo Cred: homebrunch.com)
8. Mix 'n Match Materials - Following the them of texture, I also like to mix and match other materials. For a more organic feeling, bring pieces of reclaimed wood into your home. Wood has so much texture and depth to it, which in hand adds lots of warmth to any space. A great way to add reclaimed wood to your space can be with, wood serving trays or free-form wooden bowls (as pictured in example 6).
9. Be Eclectic - Go for a more collected look. Add vintage touches, trinkets, or items that have a more worn-in look. it gives a more personalized look to your home and shows your unique personality and interests.
10. Unique Artwork & Photography - Whether you paint your own artwork or have black and white family photos, dress up blank walls by adding art or photography to your space which also adds character to your space too!
(Photo Cred: arcadiahome.com)
I hope you have enjoyed my decorating tips and can use them to snuggle up in style this winter!
Did this blog post make you feel warm and fuzzy? Share this with your friends or comment below your favorite tip :) Want more ideas to make your space feel warmer? Check out last week's post on how Copper Accents can charm any space. You can also find cozy style by peeking at a few sunny Florida homes.
Can't get enough AMA Designs? Sign up for our newsletter so you can snuggle up and get free design tips for your home.