It is the perfect time of year to start working outside and improve the exterior appearance of your home. Whether your goal is to improve the attract buyers or to simply enjoy; the presence of your exterior will either welcome guests or deter them. In today's blog post, I will be sharing ways to create an exterior that everyone will want to know what is inside. Enhance your homes curb appeal with cosmetic upgrades and projects that can be done in one day or an entire weekend.
Here are 10 Ways to Improve your Home's Curb Appeal:
1. Statement Entry - The front entry is the focal point of your home. Create a statement entry by adding punch of color to your front door or by installing a custom wood door. Add a stylish Welcome mat and a decorative wreath to express your personality.
2. Replace Hardware - Update house numbers, the entry door lockset, and door bells/door knockers if they look worn from weather conditions or if they do not fit the aesthetic of your home. If you have a traditional home, oil rubbed bronze finish will work while brushed nickel suits more contemporary homes.
3. Mailbox - Select a mailbox that mimics the style and finishes of your home. A wall-mounted mailbox should compliment the color and trim of your home. Dress up a mailbox on a post by surrounding the post with flowers.
4. Lighting - Landscape lighting makes a huge impact when it comes to your homes curb appeal. It also provides safety and security. Illuminate pathways, spot light masonry details and trees, and an overhead light fixture by the entrance to welcome guests to the front door.
5. Paint - Define and highlight architectural elements by playing it up with a paint. Choose an accent color to accentuate decorative trim, railings, fences, columns, shutters, or other significant details that need more attention.
6. Renew Siding - Hire a professional or rent a machine to power wash the exterior of your home for a mini-face lift. If you're siding is in bad shape, repaint the exterior for an automatic transformation.
7. Balance and Symmetry - Creating balance is simple to arrange and also appeasing to the eye. For a stronger impact, try flanking sconces and/or planters on each side of the front door.
8. Renew Planter Beds - Renew planters beds and flower gardens by pruning and pulling weeds. Add new mulch to restore color that was taken away from sunlight and harsh weather. Define your planter beds by outlining them with stone or decorative cast-concrete edges.
9. Outdoor Seating - Add a bench or a few chairs to your front porch to make your porch feel more inviting and so you have another outdoor space to enjoy on a nice sunny day.
10. Outdoor Art - Add weather resistant artwork to add curb appeal and express your personality. Select sculptural elements that complement your homes's color palette and style. Water fountains, bird baths, metal sculptures, stained glass, and wind chimes are few good choices for outdoor art.
With a little TLC you can upgrade your home's curb appeal with cosmetic upgrades that can be accomplished in a day or a weekend. I hope this post encouraged you to update your home's exterior.
Did you love this week's post? Comment below and share with your friends. If you want more design inspiration and tips, please follow @byamadesigns on Instagram
Want more design tips? Join "The Designed Life" monthly e-magazine, filled with tons of inspiration for the home and life. Also, receive a free Home Design Checklist to make your next shopping trip for your home easier.