With the warm summer months approaching, It's almost that time to start prepping your outdoor spaces to entertain family and friends. If you follow me on Facebook, you may have noticed a few outdoor-related posts I shared. I'm in the outdoor-entertaining spirit! Easter is around the corner and I am hoping it's warm enough to eat outside or pull up a chair in the sun with a drink. Your backyard is an extension of your home that should not be undervalued. Today, I'll be sharing how to create an outdoor space that everyone will want to enjoy with 10 easy decorating ideas and techniques.
1. Divide Backyard into Zones - Dining area, lounge area, grilling/barbecue section, outdoor bar, kids play area, etc.
(Photo by Helen Green Design)
2. Outdoor Lighting - Treat outdoor spaces such as porches, patios, and even screened in porches as another room. Add ceiling fixtures as you would with an indoor space. This makes the space feel more like a "room".
(Photo via House Beautiful)
3. Outdoor Furniture - Most indoor/outdoor furniture today is hard to decipher from regular interior use. Wicker seating and sectionals make for great seating whether it be outdoor or on a screened-in porch.
4. Area Rugs - Area rugs not only define seating zones but they also protect bare feet from burning on a sunny porch (I'm guilty for this one!). Pick up a durable indoor/outdoor rug. Some examples are sisal/jute, poly blends, or even woven plastic that looks like straw.
5. Outdoor Pillows - As with furniture, indoor/outdoor fabric options have improved. Outdoor pillows don't look like your typical outdoor pillows anymore. Cozy up your lounge chairs and seating areas with decorative throws.
6. Outdoor Curtains - This ties in with #5. If you have a porch or a pergola, consider adding curtain sheers.
(Photo via Centsational Girl)
7. Light the Way - Light up paths for you and your guests with solar powered lights.
8. Discrete Outdoor Speakers - What is a party without a little music? Discretely hide speakers with speakers that are disguised as rocks.
9. Fresh Paint - Revive your deck or stairs with a fresh coat of paint. Are the high-traffic areas worn out? Consider using a stencil to paint a runner up your stairs or stencil a faux area rug underneath outdoor seating. The picture below is painted concrete. The pattern is intricate but I hope it has inspired you to try something new (even if it is a simple stair runner stencil).
(Photo via Lifeworkmediablog)
10. Storage - Create storage areas for common items. For example, if you have a pool, hang hooks near for towels or keep a cedar trunk filled with clean towels so your kids don't walk in the house dripping wet. If you have outdoor plates and glass ware, consider adding a shelf near the door that exits to your backyard. If your guests, need an extra cup or napkin, they know where to go. I love to entertain but sometimes I'm not always available to tend to everyones needs (especially for large parties). Think of the different types of outdoor entertaining you like to have and alter your storage to your needs. It makes entertaining much easier!
I hope you have enjoyed this post and it has inspired you to create your own outdoor sanctuary. Create beautiful memories outdoor this season!
Want more design tips? Join "The Designed Life" monthly e-magazine, filled with tons of inspiration for the home and life. Also, receive a free Home Design Checklist to make your next shopping trip for your home easier.