If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen a small and stylish balcony that truly inspired me. Hours later, I spent the rest of my night on Pinterest gazing over many more trendy decks. So I figured, why not share my lovely findings with you?! As the weather continues to warm up, we start to spend more time outdoors. Your backyard is an extension of your home to relax and entertain. If you live in an apartment and don't have a backyard, why not deck-out your deck? By adding the right elements, you can create a charming outdoor living space that you can retreat to by yourself or with friends.
How to Deck-Out your Small Deck or Balcony:
1. Conversation Seating - Create a comfortable seating arrangement that encourages conversation between guests. If you balcony is tiny, try adding two chairs with a small table in between.
2. Scaled Furniture - Finding furniture that fits a tiny balcony is a challenge. The furniture needs to be scaled to fit the space both in size as well as visual-space. The photo below is the perfect example. The furniture is light-weight and airy. The chair and sofa has an open base and back which draw your eye through the furniture making the space feel more open. If the furniture had a solid back and base, this balcony would feel heavy, small, and cluttered.
3. Flower Garden - Flowers and plants not only add color to your balcony but create privacy as well. By adding a few tall plants along the edge of your railing you can obstruct the view from nearby neighbors. I love the hanging pots on the railing.
4. Herb Garden - If you like to spend time cooking in your kitchen, why not have your own outdoor herb garden? The picture below is a great example of use of wall-space and I also enjoy the pop of color from the flower pots.
5. Outdoor Rug - Make your balcony feel warm and inviting by adding an outdoor area rug. Rugs add interest and also ground furniture groupings.
6. Lights - I love using lantern Lights with candles outdoors. It creates a very warm and inviting setting. If you don't want to use candles, consider the battery operates votives and tea lights. For a similar feel, you could also add string lights and drape the railing or underneath an umbrella.
7. Umbrella - Protect yourself from direct sunlight by adding an umbrella for shade on sunny days.
8. Mesh Canopy - For buggy nights, add a mesh canopy to your balcony.
9. Privacy - Create privacy from nearby neighbors by adding a decorative screen or even draping fabric along the railing.
10. Outdoor Art - Add art to your space that can withstand the weather such as metal or glass wall hangings or sculptures. You can even add wind chimes to add whimsy to your balcony.
I hope you enjoyed this post on how to deck-out your deck. Enjoy the warm months ahead and spend more time outdoors. If you loved this post, share it with a friend who has an apartment or a small balcony.
Want more design tips? Join "The Designed Life" monthly e-magazine, filled with tons of inspiration for the home and life. Also, receive a free Home Design Checklist to make your next shopping trip for your home easier.